You can still fill it out too if you have been slacking lately, just click here.
•••••••••••••••
If you have been reading my blog for a little while you might remember me talking about reading this book:For a club/competion/extra-curricular/I need something to put on college applications type thing; that thing is called English Quest.
The actual competition was this past Friday.
I had to choose three events to compete in and so I chose:
•Photo Essay- telling a story, theme, or idea through pictures.
•Book Cover Design- Just what it sounds like.
•Character Sketch- Where they give you a picture prompt and you have to write a story about it.
I was really excited about the first two, but the last... not so much. But more on that later... First:
Photo Essay
This is the event I was probably most excited about but when it came down to it, it was really a big mess of stress.
First I had to look through Outliers over and over again to find morals, lessons, or themes. Which was kind of hard considering then you needed to put these ideas into something that you can physically can take a picture of.
To top off the already stressful situation I was told you could submit entries electronically when really you can't.
It was then, (after I had arrived at the college that the event was hosted at) I received this news; and had tor rush to the copy center, trying try to find someway to print my perfectly placed pictures off of the PowerPoint and onto a square ugly piece of paper.
Needless to say,
I did not win this category, which perfectly okay because I wouldn't have picked mine either the way they were shown. Oh well, I know what to expect for next year. I would still like to show my pictures even though the captions weren't this way on the actual photos you still get the idea:
**Side note: if you haven't read the book most of the pictures make no sense at all.
Success is Influenced by:
| Ethnicity |
| Economic Class |
| Dedication |
| Chances |
![]() |
| Birthday |
Book Cover
This was by far my most successful category.
Right up my alley, some pretty pictures, creative words.
Perfection, simplicity, cleanliness (which you didn't know I even had in me if you saw my bedroom.)
I thought it turned out beautifully it conveyed the book just as I had hoped.

Character Sketch
I can honestly say I still have no idea what a character sketch really is.
I went into my hour writing session pretty confident in what I was doing, saw my prompt picture.
It wasn't anything too difficult, just an old man and two little girls on a Ferris Wheel. I started writing and I quickly knew my piece was done for. Nothing good was coming out of it.
As I sat I thought about just 'Sketching the Characters' just to give the judges a little bit of humor. After a short back and forth in my head I decided against it.
Anyways, I just kept writing my sad excuse for a story and as I looked around everyone was finishing. So I started going into overdrive wrapping up what I had. When I hear the instructor come up to me and whisper "2 minutes dear...."
What?! How did one full hour go by and I was the only one left in the room that used to be filled with at least a hundred kids. So I wrote the end handed my paper to the teacher and walked out laughing at myself.
That is and will be the extent of my character sketch writing career.
Hah who knew?
There will be more not just geeky nerd club posts.
promise.
Well, off to watch my monday night TV.
Ha I know such an exciting life I lead.
What do your Monday nights consist of?
Oh yea and did I mention that I got 2nd place?!
No?
Well I did!
For being a sophomore this is huge.
I couldn't have been more pleased.
Oh, Do you want to see what I did?
Here it is:
**Click to enlarge.

Character Sketch
I can honestly say I still have no idea what a character sketch really is.
I went into my hour writing session pretty confident in what I was doing, saw my prompt picture.
It wasn't anything too difficult, just an old man and two little girls on a Ferris Wheel. I started writing and I quickly knew my piece was done for. Nothing good was coming out of it.
As I sat I thought about just 'Sketching the Characters' just to give the judges a little bit of humor. After a short back and forth in my head I decided against it.
Anyways, I just kept writing my sad excuse for a story and as I looked around everyone was finishing. So I started going into overdrive wrapping up what I had. When I hear the instructor come up to me and whisper "2 minutes dear...."
What?! How did one full hour go by and I was the only one left in the room that used to be filled with at least a hundred kids. So I wrote the end handed my paper to the teacher and walked out laughing at myself.
That is and will be the extent of my character sketch writing career.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
So there you are, an actual occurrence in my life. Which I now realize you actually wanted to know more about.Hah who knew?
There will be more not just geeky nerd club posts.
promise.
Well, off to watch my monday night TV.
Ha I know such an exciting life I lead.
What do your Monday nights consist of?

No comments:
Post a Comment
Give a comment, get a comment. Just the way it works :)