Lately, I have been into reading.
Not just any reads of course, good reading... modern reading.
not Les Miserables or The Count of Monte Cristo currently being shoved into our brains in my honors English classroom.
I hate assigned reading. Why force kids to read. I understand all of the great historical literature in these books and blah blah blah...
But, reading every page of it at home and being assigned 60 pages or (in my case) 95 pages to read in a week to take a quiz on.
I know probably every English teacher or editor would disagree with me.. but I don't care I'm saying it anyways.
Books should be about fun, exciting things that interest the readers.
I think there's a chance I would enjoy the classics if I wasn't forced to do it.
Why do we need to read a sum odd number of pages by a deadline.
Why can't we be intrigued by pages that make us happy that help kids turn off the television and enjoy a good old fashioned book.
One made out of paper not read on a computer screen.
Reading, is fun when it isn't forced, so quit the forced reading already.
Below are some of my very favorite reads:
1. Hunger games. Pure genius. I have read them each twice and I still could (and might) read them again.
2. My most recent favorite. About people in the south in the 1960's talking about snobby white women and their black maids. If you haven't read it you need to immediately. From what I read it turns out there will be a movie of this book coming out this August.
3. Just about the only mystery novels I've read but I read almost the entire set within a month.
4. Before the movie I loved the book. It was real, it showed that love isn't always butterflies and roses.
5. I have read every Nicholas Sparks novel so it would be right for there to be two in my favorite list. I loved this book, I laughed, I cried, I got mad. Lovely book.
6. I have talked about this book before here. But it truly is one of the most inspiring funniest true stories I have ever read. another great feel good novel.
7. I would be lying if I didn't say that Junie B. Jones books aren't some of my all time favorites because they are. (:
Do you have any book suggestions?I would love to hear your favorites.


Those look good! Have you ever read "The Book Thief" ?
ReplyDeleteI finally got around to reading it a few weeks ago, and now it's one of my favorite books ever.
Also, I'm really really wanting to donate to your mom's page, but it may be a while. I'm broke right now :( (doesn't being broke stink??)
Have a great weekend!
~Natalia
You *need* to read the Christy Miller Series! They are the best books I have ever read. I think you'd really like them. :) (If you do read them don't forget about the 3-book college series that comes after).
ReplyDeleteAlso, Even Now by Karen Kingsbury is amazing!
Ohhh my. I agree that forced reading assignments can be a chore, but Les Miserables and The Count of Monte Cristo are just about two of my favorite books ever. Those are classics for a reason...uh-MAZ-ing.
ReplyDeleteI've heard the Hunger Games series is really really good and I want to read them someday. :)))
I am about to read "The Help". Can't wait!
ReplyDeleteYes, I love Hunger Games.
ReplyDeleteAnd Junie B. Jones is CLASSIC. I am pretty sure I read every single one when I was in 3rd and 4th grade. My mom didn't like them, she thought they were annoying ;) ha ha ha
I have heard about The Help, and now I want to read it even more! :)
I also want to read Matched and Delirium, both books that Busy Bee Lauren likes!
looks like you've read some good books there. :) did you read "water for Elephants"? great book.
ReplyDeleteOh my word. "Dear John" is an amazing book... It made me cry soo bad, but for some reason, I like crying over uber-amazing books... I read "Dear John" while listening to the awesome "Titanic" score {I was sobbing by the end of that movie, and listening to the music reminded me of all the emotional scenes} and by the end of the night I read through "Dear John" my eyes were red and puffy... It was epic in a way, but it's a totally "me" thing... I really like depressing stories.. ;)
ReplyDelete"The Last Song" was an ah-mazing book but the movie was disappointing to me... That book made me cry too, mostly because my closest Grandma died from cancer too, but I LOVED that book...
Have you read any Ted Dekker or Frank Peretti? "The Visitation" and "The Oath" by Frank Peretti are some altime favorites of mine aswell... I don't know if you like teen girl books, but any Melody Carlson books are great and also the "Miracle Girl" series are great... They're witty and lovely books that I've grown to love! :)
-Josie